Monday, March 29, 2010

Children are a blessing

So these last few weeks have been crazy and busy. We had a nasty cold and flu virus work through our family complete with a double ear infection in the oldest, and an ear infection in the youngest. I admit there were a few times when I longed to be able to just go to sleep, to go out without having to dress and tote three little people... But then they smile or do or say something sweet and I would just melt and be good (for a little while at least).
Being a parent has also been a blessing in that it has made me see my (our) relationship with God in a whole new light. That is what the next few posts will be about...
I will start with the one that got me thinking about this in the first place. I was reading my Bible. (Ya know, for the read through my Bible in a year...that kinda got put on hold, but before it got put on hold, I got as far as Noah and the flood). After the flood Noah built an altar and thanked God. Then "the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart:"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from chiledhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done."" I know it is not a perfect analogy, but it got me thinking. I get so mad at the kids sometimes, then Logon will say 'sorry mommy', or Xaris will give me a big hug. I melt, appreciate the show of affection or apology, and vow to myself to be more patient with the kids.
Even though a simple sorry or hug can not take away the frustration that I have to scrub the crayon off the walls, fish the toy out of the toilet, or whatever the case may be. And, I know they will be naughty again. But I really appreciate the apology or hug or whatever it is. God is the same way- except a lot better on his part than I am on my part with the kids. He will always forgive us because of our Savior. When he looks at us he sees the perfect life, death and resurrection of Christ. We are perfect in his eyes. We should continue to try out of love to not sin, to apologize and repent when we do. But also to be so thankful that he has and will forgive us and love us like a father loves his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment