Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Swim Lessons

We have all seen it. Either at the lake, at the Y, or just on TV. Parents sometimes teach their kids to swim by just throwing them in the water. It is not the only way one can learn how to swim, but for some kids it might be the only way they will learn. Maybe the kid keeps trying to use a wrong technique. Or maybe the child does not want to learn. So the parent throws the child in, gives them time to struggle and try to do it their own way before pulling the child out of the water for a rest and encouragement and throwing them back in the water.
The same way we as children of God may sometimes have lessons forced on us. For me, right now, patience is my swim lesson. I keep looking up at God from the bottom of the pool. Someday I will get it. Until then I guess I gotta just keep getting thrown into the water, huh? At least it is comforting knowing God has thrown me in there because He is right there ready to pull me out before any real harm comes to me (sure I may swallow some water, get frustrated or tired, but He is watching and in control). And it is comforting because He has confidence that someday I'll get it. Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment